Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christian or not . . . Part II


I'm a Christian. And I don't depend on a dictionary or biblical definition to define who or what I believe in. I certainly don't rely upon some outspoken, blowhard to judge my heart and soul. Boy this sounds like déjà vu.

If you recall, in October of this year the Rev. Robert Jeffress felt it necessary to open his pie hole and aid the derailment of Rick Perry's campaign by calling Mormons a cult and non-Christians. Repackaged and rerun for this past Christmas holiday comes this nugget from the Rev. Brad Atkins: "Conservatives can process and pray their way through the issue of forgiveness toward a Christian that has had infidelity in their life, but will struggle to understand how anyone could be a Mormon and call themselves 'Christian.'"

Think on this will you: define a fish? Answers might include "stinky, gross, water, scales, healthy, fins" among others. And while each person's definition might be similar, are we talking a red fish, a blue fish, or a brown fish. They might be picturing a saltwater fish instead of freshwater fish. And for others they might choose red Swedish Fish. The point here is while we are all picturing a fish, even if they look different, none of us would argue that one's definition of a fish is wrong. Well, being a Christian is a personal choice or decision. It is something one does by living Christ's teachings; regardless one's definition. According to some, one Christian can differ from another in the same congregation.

Claiming that Rev. Jeffress or Rev. Atkins are frogmen from Mars doesn't make this true just because I say they are, even if I can find a coalition of like-minded people to agree. It is merely opinion. It is left to the individual to choose to believe or not. But we can run DNA tests and use other examinations to make an accurate determinations. Being a Christian, again, is a personal matter. What I feel and believe in my heart and soul isn't open to interpretation, regardless whether or not I measure up to someone else's definition.

In this case Mr. Atkins was referring to Newt Gingrich's infidelities and Mitt Romney's Mormonism. And if you haven't guessed by now, I too am a Mormon. But here Gingrich only has to seek forgiveness from his wife, his family affected by his infidelities, his ecclesiastical leader, and God. I can't grant his forgiveness as he has done nothing to me. But Romney's Mormonism, and I can't believe this is still considered an issue by some, again shouldn't have anything to do with electing a president. Apparently his being a Mormon wasn't enough of an issue to prevent him from being elected governor of Massachusetts; from successfully saving and running the 2002 Winter Olympics; managing several successful businesses; and from being a worthy and honorable husband, father, grandfather, neighbor and friend to so many. Disagree with him all you want, but for the love of God, please learn to separate biases from reality.

I guess everything I wrote above doesn't really matter to some, though. If considering Mormons as not Christians helps one sleep at night, go right ahead. I'm going to continue being a Mormon and a Christian. I'm sleeping just fine.

*For the record, I don't consider these men frogmen from Mars. Not yet anyhow.

Be Good!

No comments: