Sunday, October 16, 2011

Christian or Not . . . Part 1


Just when I think life is beginning to make sense, someone or something comes along and gently attempts to tell me that I haven't a clue. In this case a skinny Dallas-based Evangelical preacher.

You see I am a Mormon. Actually I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Those adhering to the faith are also called Mormons.

Recently Robert Jeffress, the above mentioned skinny Dallas-based Evangelical preacher, informed his parishioners and the world for that matter, that myself and 14,000,000 other Mormons are not Christians. But he didn't stop there, oh no. You see according to Mr. Jeffress I also belong to a cult. Interesting. Now I've always known we were a "peculiar people," that we were at the very least culturally unique from other faiths (funeral potatoes, green jello, "Oh my heck!"). But I find it interesting that this preacher somehow possesses the ability to discern my relationship between Jesus Christ and myself; a relationship that is personal between Christ and each of us.

Applying his litmus test for what makes one a Christian, I actually sound an awful lot like a Christian. As a result I'm failing to understand how choosing to be honest with my fellowmen, raising a family, serving the poor, sick and widowed, honoring my elders, and a myriad of other noble and righteous deeds somehow disqualifies me from being a Christian.

Ultimately I ask, "What does it matter?" By this I mean, if I were to stand before Jesus Christ tomorrow, having accepted Him as my Savior, would He deny me because I don't fit a biblical definition of a Christian? Hasn't the biblical text been pilfered over the years anyhow? 

Sometimes it feels more as if what Evangelicals are more upset with isn't that we worship differently than they do, but that we are doing so successfully. And this frightens them - that they don't have the market cornered on righteous living. 

I would also add that my relationship with the Savior differs from that of my immediate family as well as fellow Latter-day Saints. But I would equally argue that Mr. Jeffress' relationship with Christ doesn't perfectly match that of his parishioners. Why? Because as mentioned earlier, it is a personal relationship. So while a definition of Christ from person-to-person might be nearly similar, my experience in applying Christ-like principles and living a Christ-like life does differ. Ask anyone who has accepted the Atonement in their lives and how personal that experience is. And look at the thousands upon thousands of different artistic representations of Jesus Christ. Why so many? Because we all see Him in a deeply, personal way. We see Him as He applies to our life - independent of definitions and skinny, Dallas-based Evangelical preachers. 

I have and do repent when I have sinned and I trust Him to forgive me. In fact the Atonement plays a central role in the LDS faith as Christ is our faith. 

But I digress. Everything I'm saying here is void and empty as I am not a Christian. My baptism somehow prevents me from being a Christian. My good deeds are of no worth to me or those receiving them. My faith and trust in His redeeming love isn't valid either I suppose. In fact, why try anymore? 

So go ahead, tell me I'm not a Christian. But personally I don't need anyone or a definition telling me who or what I am. Or in this case, what I am not.


Be Good!